More than one million dollars have been raised toward the restoration of Slaton's only remaining original Santa Fe structure. Originally known as the Harvey House, this beautiful restaurant served Slaton as a passenger depot in its later years. Now it will again become a transportation center, as well as a railroad history museum and bed and breakfast inn.
Built in 1912, the Slaton Harvey House is a grand, two-story structure that served passenger trains and local patrons until it closed in 1942. A volunteer organization called the Slaton Railroad Heritage Association is restoring the building back to its original condition. Plans call for a regional bus service to operate out of the building and to house the Slaton Museum's ever growing railroad history collection.