The Santa Fe Railroad established Slaton in 1911. In 1919, residents established a bucket brigade to help fight fires. Alex DeLong served as Fire Chief of this group, which used chemical tanks and buckets of water drawn from wells to extinguish fires. The following year, the city began work on a water system and Fire Mains. In 1922, the city bought its first fire truck. The volunteer fire department grew over the years in manpower and equipment, operating first from City Hall and then from its own station beginning in 1928.
Today, the firefighters serve Slaton as well as surrounding communities with an approximate population of 8,000 people within our coverage area.