The City Secretary’s office is responsible for:
- City Commission agendas and minutes
- Ordinance codification
- Coordinating City elections
- Receipt of official campaign contributions and expenditure reports from candidates and office holders as required by the Texas Ethics Commission
- Official notices
- Processing public information requests
- Certifying and attesting to all official City documents
- Acting as a liaison between the City and citizens
Elections & Candidate Criteria
Slaton Mayor and City Commissioners candidates must meet the following criteria
- A citizen of the United States
- 18 years of age or older
- Have not been declared mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities
- Have resided in the state for 12 months and in the city or in the ward, as applicable, for six months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot
- A qualified voter
May 2, 2020 Election – Postponed to November 3, 2020
The May 2, 2020 General Election was postponed to November 3, 2020. Governor Greg Abbott issued a proclamation authorizing political subdivisions that were scheduled to hold elections on May 2, 2020, to move their elections to the next uniform election date, which will occur on November 3, 2020.
This does not re-open the candidate filing period. The candidates remain in place, and the order on the ballot remains in place.
Election 2020 – May 2, 2020
- The Mayor, City Commissioner Ward I and City Commissioner Ward III are held on odd numbered years.
- The City Commissioner Ward II and City Commissioner Ward IV are held on even numbered years.
General Municipal Elections are held, in even number years, on the May uniform election date authorized by state law. The uniform May election date is the first Saturday of the month. The May 2020 Election will be held on Saturday, May 2, 2020. The following offices will be on the 2020 Ballot:
Council Member, Ward 2
Council Member, Ward 4
Filing Period or a Place on the Ballot & Location (Where to File)
First day to file is Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Last day to file is Friday, February 14, 2020
Physical address for filing applications for a place on the ballot:
Slaton City Hall- City Secretary’s Office
130 S. 9th
Slaton Texas 79364
- 6:30 pm
- Second Monday of the month
- City Hall – 130 S. 9th St., Slaton, TX 79364
- To place an item on the agenda, the item must be presented in written form to the Mayor or City Administrator by 5:00 pm, the Wednesday prior to the monthly meeting.
Landowner Bill of Rights
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)