The City Secretary’s office is responsible for:
- City Commission agendas and minutes
- Ordinance codification
- Coordinating City elections
- Receipt of official campaign contributions and expenditure reports from candidates and office holders as required by the Texas Ethics Commission
- Official notices
- Processing public information requests
- Certifying and attesting to all official City documents
- Acting as a liaison between the City and citizens
Elections & Candidate Criteria
Slaton Mayor and City Commissioners candidates must meet the following criteria
- A citizen of the United States
- 18 years of age or older
- Have not been declared mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities
- Have resided in the state for 12 months and in the city or in the ward, as applicable, for six months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot
- A qualified voter
Election 2023 – May 6, 2023 General Election
The May 2023 Election will be held on Saturday, May 6, 2023
The following offices will be on the May 2023 ballot.
- Mayor – Three (3) Year Term
- City Commissioner Ward 1 – Three (3) Year Term
- City Commissioner Ward 3 – Three (3) Year Term
General Municipal Elections are held, in even number years, on the May uniform election date authorized by state law. The uniform May election date is the first Saturday of the month.
- The Mayor , City Commissioner Ward 1 and City Commissioner Ward 3 are held on odd numbered years.
- City Commissioner Ward 2 and City Commissioner Ward 4 are held on even numbered years.
Filing Period or a Place on the Ballot & Location (Where to File)
First day to file is Wednesday, January 18, 2023
Last day to file is Friday, February 17, 2023
Physical address for filing applications for a place on the ballot:
Slaton City Hall- City Secretary’s Office
130 S. 9th
Slaton Texas 79364
- 6:30 pm
- Second Monday of the month
- City Hall – 130 S. 9th St., Slaton, TX 79364 – see agenda for virtual meeting information
- To place an item on the agenda, the item must be presented in written form to the Mayor or City Administrator by 5:00 pm, the Wednesday prior to the monthly meeting.
Landowner Bill of Rights
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)