The goal of the Municipal Court in the City of Slaton is to provide useful information and assist you in taking care of your Class C misdemeanor and concludes when the charges are disposed of by either the payment of a fine or the dismissal of the charges.
Through our website, you can:
- Citation fees – Call court for info
- Read some of our frequently asked questions
- Find information regarding your citation
- See the options you have for handling your citation
- Learn about our jurisdiction
Court hearings start at 2:00 pm.
Bryan Guymon, Underwood Law Firm
130 S. 9th St.
Slaton, TX 79364
Ph: (806) 828-2004
Fx: (806) 828-2886
M-F 8:00am – 5:30pm payments only (Drive up Window)
Judge McAuley is only in the office on Tuesday
8:30am – 4:30pm
Is the Slaton Municipal Court open during lunch?
We are closed during the lunch hour. Our office hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Tuesday only.
How do I tell if my ticket is under the jurisdiction of Municipal Court?
On the front of your ticket, it will say Municipal Court in the center of the top.
Info Regarding your Citation
- Your signature on the citation is not a plea of guilty. It is a promise to appear in court.
- You must make contact with the court no earlier than two days after the date the citation was issued, and no longer than the date noted on your citation as the date to appear (usually 10 days after citation).
- You must make an appearance in person or by mail, we do not handle citations by phone.
- You have the right to appear in court and contest the charges brought against you.
- You have the right to request a trial either by Judge or by Jury.
- Juveniles (a person under 17) must appear in person with a parent or legal guardian.
Payments for fines may be made by cash, check, money order, credit card, or on line payment.
With the exception of juveniles or minors charges with alcohol, tobacco, or school related offenses, payments will be accepted by mail, by the clerk in the office, or by dropping the payment in the night deposit box located at City Hall.
Mail or bring your payments to:
Slaton Municipal Court
130 S. 9th St.
Slaton, TX 79364
Handling your Citation
Plead no contest or guilty and pay the fine. You may do this in person – appear on or before the date on your citation, pay the fine in full or request a payment plan by mail. Sign the waiver on reverse side of your citation, and mail ticket and payment by money order on or before the due date stated on your citation.
Plead not guilty and request a trial. If you choose to plead not guilty, you or your attorney must turn in a plea and a request for trial by judge or jury by the due date of the citation. The court date and notice of the trial date will be sent out by the court.
Request The Driving Safety Course in person on or before the due date on your ticket. You will be eligible for this option if you:
- Have not had a defensive driving class in the previous 12 months
- Have a valid Texas drivers license
- Can show proof of liability insurance
- Were not cited for:
– Going more than 25 miles over the speed limit
– Passing a school bus
– Reckless driving
– Fleeing or eluding a peace officer
– Leaving the scene of an accident
– Failing to render aid
– Committing any other traffic offense while driving with a commercial driver’s license
Once the court has approved you for defensive driving, you must pay the $144 or ($169 if School Zone Violation) court costs, then you will have 90 days to complete the course.
Take a Deferred Adjudication, where you must:
- Pay the full amount of the citation
- Not receive a moving violation for 60 days or the ticket will remain on your driving record
- Sign an agreement for Deferred Adjudication and a plea form
- Copy of drivers license
- Copy of insurance
- Copy of driving record
- Certificate of defensive driving (if taken)
Cases filed in the Municipal Court include:
- Traffic and parking violations
- Class C misdemeanors
- Violations of City Ordinance filed by Slaton City Police Department, Fire Marshal, or Code Enforcement Officer
- School related violations filed by the Slaton Independent School District
For more information, please call the Municipal Court at (806) 828-2004.